Many students enter Penn having already satisfied the language requirement, either via the SAT II or with an appropriate score on the AP or IB Higher Level examinations. It is important to make sure that an official record of your scores has been sent to Penn and that they are posted to your record. Nonetheless, it is a good idea to bring an official copy of your scores to Penn.
- If your SAT II score is 650 or above, you have fulfilled your language requirement in Italian and may enroll in ITAL 1000.
- If your score is between 600 and 640, you qualify to take an oral exam to be exempt from the language requirement. The oral exam is offered during the first two weeks of a semester only. Please sign up for the exam with the Undergraduate Coordinator
- If your score is less than 600, you may use your SAT II score for placement at the 0100 - 0400 level. Check out the SAT II Placement Scale.
If you have scored a 4 or 5 on either the language or the literature Advanced Placement exam, you may directly enroll in ITAL 1200 and/or 2000 level courses.
AP scores of 1, 2, and 3 are not used for placement purposes.
- Students who have taken the Standard Level IB examinations can not use their score for placement purposes and will need to complete the Placement Examination.
- Students who have taken the Higher Level IB examinations, please contact the Director of the Italian Language Program.